frugal friday, shannon victoria

Frugal Friday

Hello Savers and Happy Frugal Friday!

Just wanted to share an article I found by Self Magazine’s fitness editor, Amy Marturanar about saving. This article details how hard it is for her to save money as a millennial, even when income is plentiful and especially when there is nothing specific to save for.

This part of the article stuck out most to me…

We both have good jobs, we have no kids, and we’re healthy, so we figured there’s no reason our savings and investment accounts shouldn’t be busting at the seams. We both work in New York City, but lived with roommates for a while to pay less in rent. Two years ago, we bought a place in New Jersey, so we’re spending comparatively less on living than most people we know.

We obviously saved enough for that down payment (for me, it was pretty much my lifetime of savings), but then something happened. We made a really big purchase and then no longer had anything specific to save for. At the same time, we fell into this pattern that’s really easy to fall victim to in your 20s: As we moved up at our jobs and started making more money, we took it as an open invitation to spend more, too.

I think it’s a great idea to always keep a saving goal (check out mine here), even if it seems unattainable. Why not save up to purchase a Ferrari in cash! Whats the worst that could happen? You might find you are suddenly able to afford a new Ferrari!

No matter what you earn, you can save! No amount is too small. You don’t need to feel like there is no point in saving change or $5 because it won’t make an impact but ANY amount you save and don’t touch is IMPACTFUL!

Check out the rest of the article here as a bit of motivation. You will see that many of us, regardless of our jobs have a hard time-saving! But not everyone takes the steps necessary to get better at it. And you have!

You should enter this sunny weekend (finally!) with your head held high!

Kid Dancing GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Happy Saving!

10 Comments

• chelsea April 20, 2018 at 6:46 pm

Yes! I’ve always told myself this as well. Even if you are saving what you think is minimum and “silly”, keep saving that over the course of 10 years and think of what you have saved!

• admin April 20, 2018 at 7:37 pm

It all adds up! Sometimes it’s better to save a tiny amount that you can afford not to touch opposed to saving large amounts and dipping into it when you’re strapped for cash.

• Sam @ The Haunted Housewife April 20, 2018 at 7:02 pm

Very true. We’ve slowly earned more over the years and we should be more comfortable, however, mo’ money… mo’ problems! I’m working on getting it under control, though 🙂

• admin April 20, 2018 at 7:35 pm

Haha! Mo money is a good problem to have! I’m sure you will master it in no time!

• Crysta Parkinson April 20, 2018 at 8:19 pm

I completely agree. Having specific savings goals makes it so much easier! With that said, we have completely fallen victim to growing into our income. When I think about how much we lived off five or ten years ago, it’s downright embarrassing how little we are saving now!

• Jocelyn April 20, 2018 at 10:06 pm

I have gotten into saving a portion of my paycheck every time it comes and it has been so nice! It’s great watching the savings grow every week!

• admin April 20, 2018 at 11:02 pm

It almost becomes a sport to watch your money grow and see how big it can get!

• Whitney April 20, 2018 at 11:43 pm

One of the biggest ways I have quickly saved money is by keeping change, buying a change machine with paper rollers and depositing those suckers anytime I fill up a few change rolls to the bank! They have added up quickly – I did a $33 deposit just yesterday.

• admin April 21, 2018 at 2:18 am

Now I have a huge issue saving change. It seems like such an easy way to compound money. I seriously need to rethink this! Teach me how 😩

• Jennifer Penas April 21, 2018 at 12:33 am

I agree! It’s sooo important to save, and yes no matter what you make, you can save something even if it’s a little bit, it’s still something!