buy your house, FIRST TIME HOMEBUYING, REAL ESTATE, BUYERS MARKET

So You’re Ready To Buy Your House: First Things First

Congratulations on officially setting your mind on preparing to buy your house!

It’s time to get into a buyers mindset.

Let’s start with the very important empowerment piece

Understand this, YOU ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT PERSON IN THIS SITUATION. Without you, none of the other people involved would be involved. This entire process revolves around you. If you are a narcissistic person, buying a house will be a great experience. If you are a person who is timid, this might be a little tougher, but YOU are who this blog is geared towards.

This is your transaction. You have professionals around you to help but if you get caught up in a bad deal all of these people will have cashed their commission checks and moved in, meanwhile you have 30 years (if you are lucky) to mull over the fact that you didn’t ask questions or demand that something be done to your liking.

Buy Your House With Confidence

Don’t let your professional’s diatribes about their many years in the business be a reason to not question something they have said, assuming you really are unsure about it. They may have sold many houses in their career but they have never sold one to YOU, so no matter what they think they are not an expert in this specific transaction.

Don’t let your realtor paint your experience with the broad stroke of all their other customers.

5 Home Buying Do’s:

• DO Ask questions
  • DO Read EVERYTHING
  • DO Consult a lawyer (if it’s cost effective) even if your state does not require it
  • DO Get a second opinion (Heads Up: Your professionals won’t like this, but see paragraph 1 for more info on why this should not matter to you all that much)
  • DO Stand your ground

This blog is not about bashing realtors or mortgage lenders, it is simply encouraging you to seek the clarity you need as it pertains to every single aspect of this process. You will be signing upwards of 200 pages before closing day, so be vigilant in reading and understanding every line of your contracts.

CONTRACTS ARE BINDING WHETHER YOU UNDERSTAND THEM OR NOT!

You will feel more confident while you buy a house if you feel secure with those around you. That starts with selecting the right real estate agent and also deciding on funding your loan directly through a lender or if a mortgage broker suits your needs more. Both of these decisions will totally shape your buying experience, so choose wisely!  And we will tap into both of those areas more in a later post!

In The Meantime…

Stay woke buyers!

24 Comments

• Michelle May 4, 2018 at 3:24 pm

Thanks so much for this advice! Buying a home is such a big investment and can be scary!

• admin May 4, 2018 at 6:33 pm

Its terrifying! I have a long list of things I neglected to worry about this day and night..haha!

• Ashley Roberts May 4, 2018 at 3:36 pm

The hardest thing about our house buying experience was it hadn’t been lived in in 5 years… So things broke when we started using them. I think people should also ask how much its been lived in during the last 10 years because our previous homebuyer stated there 1 night a week so she could say it was lived in.

• admin May 4, 2018 at 6:32 pm

Wow! Thats interesting. I often wondered if buying from someone who lived there was the best idea. Now I see it wasnt a terrible thing. Hope it all worked out for your guys in the end.

• Chelsea May 4, 2018 at 6:27 pm

Such great advice! We’re hoping to buy our first place in the next year or two so I’ll have to remember this.

• admin May 4, 2018 at 6:31 pm

Congrats! Let me know if I can be of any assistance in your journey!!

• Diana May 4, 2018 at 8:17 pm

We learned so much from buying our first home. I think we are now better prepared when buying our next home if that day ever comes!

• admin May 4, 2018 at 8:37 pm

Me too! But I think based on my experience this will be my forever house lol

• Sihlesenkosi Ncube May 4, 2018 at 8:33 pm

insightful info.Thanks

• admin May 4, 2018 at 8:37 pm

Thank you!

• Autumn Jenkins May 4, 2018 at 8:41 pm

Learned a lot from this post! Buying a home can be very intimidating. Will definitely be keeping these tips in mind

• admin May 4, 2018 at 8:48 pm

Thanks Autumn! If you need any help, you now where to find me!

• Heather May 4, 2018 at 9:24 pm

Great tips. Buying a house is a major financial investment (and emotional and mental!). I had a fabulous realtor who loved all my questions (even asked me what questions I had!), which made the process so much easier.

• admin May 4, 2018 at 9:26 pm

A great realtor is the key to a smooth deal! Sometimes things are out of their control but its still nice when they have patience with first timers!

• Lexi May 5, 2018 at 2:51 am

I’m currently saving to buy my first house and I’m so glad I read this! I tend to “people please” and make sure everyone else is happy but with home ownership being such a huge investment and responsibility I need to remind myself to look out for numero uno!

• admin May 5, 2018 at 12:11 pm

On my closing day the lender tried to sneak $4k onto the bill. I could have “trust the process” and ate it or speak up. I did! And guess what? I didnt pay it. Everything is negotiable.

• Olivia May 5, 2018 at 11:13 am

Love this post idea, will you maybe do a series on buying a house? I think we’re all buying later in life nowadays and when it comes time to take the plunge, a lot of us don’t know where to start!

• admin May 5, 2018 at 12:14 pm

By the end of the year, I plan to turn this series into an E-book or online course!!

• Betsy May 5, 2018 at 3:38 pm

Great tips! There are a couple of things on there I wish my husband would have thought of before buying his first place.

• Dominique May 7, 2018 at 3:49 pm

Great tips! I wish I read this before I bought my house. LOL! It was a bit nerve-wracking!

• admin May 7, 2018 at 4:45 pm

I have never been so out of sorts as I had been the last few months! Lol

• Bianca Dottin May 7, 2018 at 6:38 pm

We’re buying our first home and it’s nerve wracking. I definitely agree that first time homebuyers need to read everything before signing anything.

• admin May 7, 2018 at 6:44 pm

Congrats Bianca! It will all be worth it eventhough right now you probably want to just run away lol

• Kat Fox May 12, 2018 at 3:30 pm

We just sold our first home! Now, we have to find something else. I’m so over this process. Thank you for sharing your tips.