saving, money management, finances, responsibility, millennials

What Is Your Savings End Game?

Do You Have A Saving End Game?

When I started getting serious about saving, my main goal was to have money to travel. It did not take me long to achieve that goal. I then moved it up to saving for travel without disrupting my normal finances. Which for me meant, I needed to get creative and find some additional sources of income that could cover my travel expenses.

Create Some Goals

I’ll share mine from 2018

• Pay off Medical Debt
  • Pay down credit card debt
  • Take 2 Family Vacations
  • Save for a House

Why Travel Is So Important To Me.

I was raised by a single parent mother so traveling when I was growing up was almost non-existent. She did her best and we did go to the beach once a year in Wildwood, NJ. I also can’t forget those crucial 2 trips to Disney World, so kudos to momma! Anyway, now that I am an adult, and my mom is over 60, I think its very important that we take time out to enjoy family. As stressful as it can be to think about spending 8 days with my family, I also get the sweetest sense of nostalgia being away and having my mom harass me about wearing a jacket or waking up at 7 am for breakfast. You really don’t realize how sweet you had it as a kid and those moments remind me and are PRICELESS TO ME!

Oh and then there is BAECATION

You have to take some time to spend away with your spouse, again this is non-negotiable for me. You will learn about me soon but I am a relentless saver so normal things like eating out or buying lunch during the week, Does. Not. Happen. I have even gotten disciplined enough to cut my designer coffee addiction down to just twice a week. Friday after work I bring Ju and I a venti blonde coffee to commemorate getting through another week. Then after church, I indulge again. Starbucks has become a symbol of chilling and weekending for us but during the week its a symbol of oppression and low willpower (Fun Fact: I can be intense).

Results of my 2017 Goals
  • Pay off Medical Debt
  • Pay down credit card debt (we’ll strike that halfway off)
  • Take 2 Family Vacations
  • Save for a House

Set Goals, Grind, REPEAT!

SAVING, MONEY MANAGEMENT , SHANNON VICTORIA

Goals for 2018
  • Become a homeowner WAIT!…Check this update!!
  • Launch and Crush it with this website
  • Visit my Father (I haven’t seen him since 2006!) and paternal side I’VE NEVER MET in New Orleans (this is huge for me)
  • Take a Photography Class.
  • Start replenishing our nest egg

It’s important to reflect on all the progress you make, even when it seems like we might be spinning your wheels.

Try This! Take five out today to jot down a few things you are proud of yourself for.

When you’re finished your list, drop your best accomplishments in the comments below! I cannot wait to read them all!

14 Comments

• Sadia May 10, 2018 at 2:53 pm

Congratulations on setting and meeting your goals. This is nicely written and motivating! Thank you for sharing, I intend to write my goals down after gym tonight 😉

• admin May 10, 2018 at 10:46 pm

I’m glad you found the blog helpful. Writing my goals down has helped me achieve them even when I don’t look at them every day.

• Trae May 10, 2018 at 2:57 pm

I distribute my money over several accounts that each have a purpose. Bills, Travel, Dining, Nest Egg. Great read! 🙂

• admin May 10, 2018 at 10:47 pm

I do the same! It makes my life so much easier and i know the money I spend for hobbies isn’t cutting into anything else.

• Paige McEachren May 10, 2018 at 8:21 pm

Setting goals, especially with money is important. We started setting goals for long term and short and it is really helping.

• admin May 10, 2018 at 10:47 pm

I need to make more short term goals for money!

• Nikki May 10, 2018 at 10:04 pm

I seriously wish I had your willpower to save save save and not spend, especially on Starbucks (my weakness). I’ll have to write some goals for myself and put it somewhere visually to remind myself daily to save up instead of spend. Great post!

• admin May 10, 2018 at 10:49 pm

Write them down and I’d bet even if you didn’t review them regularly they will start to manifest themselves. You can do it! And keep me posted!

• Shelley May 11, 2018 at 9:30 pm

I learned at an early age to not live beyond my means and to save and I am so grateful for that. I am pretty mindful of what I buy and where I spend my money — this has allowed my hubby and I to be able to afford a lot of fun activities

• admin May 16, 2018 at 12:00 am

OMG living within your means is so important. Its a basic concept that so many people ignore!

• Girlpower May 12, 2018 at 8:41 am

Thanks for sharing. Good luck with your goals. It’s important to check in with yourself and see what you want to achieve

• admin May 15, 2018 at 11:59 pm

Thank you! I appreciate the encouragement!

• Vita McFarland May 15, 2018 at 10:56 pm

This post has encouraged me to create some new money goals. My husband and I have used Dave Ramsey’s debt snowball method to pay off the car and half of our student loans. It can be daunting to look at how much we still have to pay off, but it can be so helpful to break it down into smaller, more manageable goals as you’ve done.

P.s. I, too, have a designer coffee addiction. Going down to just a couple days a week is a great idea!

• admin May 15, 2018 at 11:58 pm

That is great how you and your husband have paid down you debt. I am so late with Dave Ramsey (always been a Suze Orman kinda gal) but I am loving his tips!!!