Thoughts On
Motherhood.

Hello Friends!

As I approach my 18th month as a mother, I‘ve been doing a bit of reflecting on my journey thus far.

What can I say about Motherhood?

It really is everything everyone made it out to be…from the immense joy to the bouts of unexplained sadness. But there are some things I was like…Nah!

So here is a short list of the myths I discovered about parenting in my first year and a half!

Myth: There’s no love greater than the love of your kids.

Fact:

Having Juju has brought me indescribable joy. Watching him experience every single aspect of life for the first time is truly amazing. BUT I have also experienced GREAT love in my marriage and would have still felt VERY fulfilled had we not had children (although I am glad we did!)

Myth: You can’t buy that....you have a baby now.

Fact:

What if I told you I could afford diapers AND a new shirt?? Putting aside every aspect of yourself for your kids is the notion that made me delay motherhood for so long. I'm doing a pretty good job of keeping my spending in check while also saving and paying bills. Thank you very much...

Myth: You’re not truly happy until you experience being a parent.

Fact:

I was very happy before having a baby. I travelled the world, slept as long as I wanted and had abs (memories) . Parenthood is so rewarding and wonderful it really is, but I still believe that you can have a completely satisfying life WITHOUT having kids. I will never change my mind about that.

Myth: You’ll never have time for yourself.

Fact:

I think I invest more time into self care post baby than I did pre-baby. It’s vital for me and non negotiable. Luckily I have a close network of friends and family that can take JUJU if I need a break. And let’s not forget Daddy! Daddy doesn't just jump in to give me a break, he is a full-time 24/7 parent just like I am. And we sure love him for it!

Myth: As a parent, I am automatically more knowledgeable than non-parents.

Fact:

This was a hot button for me as a non-parent so I was excited to finally partake in the larger brain parenting provides. But maybe my infinite knowledge got lost in he mail, but a good deal of parenting is a proper mix of instincts and common sense. Common sense as it relates to kids is something some non- parents lack, but I’ve seen a few parents missing the same marbles so I’ll keep checking my mailbox for my mom degree.

Overall, motherhood has been the absolute best and I still have so much more to watch my baby discover! It is surreal to wake up to a walking, almost talking manifestation of my husband and I everyday. I am excited to keep learning and growing right along with my little one.

Happy 18-month anniversary my love!

Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Twitter
StumbleUpon

Shop Juju's 18-Month Fit!

(Visited 77 times, 1 visits today)

17 Comments

1. Cristina Petrini July 22, 2020 at 3:07 pm

It may seem strange, I’m not a mom and I don’t even think I will in a short time, but I’m so passionate about pedagogy and growth psychology that I love reading and following blogs of moms like yours!

2. Meki July 22, 2020 at 3:32 pm

Those flipcards made me smile! Love that point about “not having time for yourself”. It’s one of the things that are holding me back from getting kids of my own.

3. Matt Taylor July 22, 2020 at 4:08 pm

Congrats on your 18-month mark of being a mother! I obviously will never get to experience that, but someday, I hope to be a father.

4. Brianne July 22, 2020 at 6:29 pm

I absolutely LOVE this! Before I met other moms and found out the truth, I was convinced I was a terrible mother. It turns out, I was just buying into the myths of motherhood.

1. Bright snow Loveland July 22, 2020 at 8:19 pm

This a lovely post. Motherhood is such a wonderful thing all women must experience. Thanks for sharing. I love ur post

5. Cinny July 22, 2020 at 9:35 pm

Motherhood seriously changes us. Its crazy how quick they grow and develop!

6. Steven Morrissette July 23, 2020 at 12:02 am

I personally think that I never do enough for them but one thing I can be sure Is I always try to do my best.

1. admin - Site Author July 24, 2020 at 11:08 am

This is a great perspective. As long as I’m going my best I’m going a good job at parenting!

7. Heather July 23, 2020 at 2:31 am

I love all that you’ve discovered in such a short period of time. Those myths will continue to pop up as they get older.

8. the joyous living July 23, 2020 at 5:31 am

fun post. it might be a myth that you’ll never be happy until you’re a parent but i am still praying that one day i too will be a parent.

9. Nkem July 23, 2020 at 10:51 am

Oh I love this post! It really made me smile. Brought up a lot of points I think people are scared to discuss honestly.

10. Marie Phillips July 23, 2020 at 11:27 am

I love your perspective on all of this. You are so right. Being a mother is very tough but it is also so rewarding in ways people never realize. I love the support you have!

11. Ntensibe Edgar Michael July 23, 2020 at 1:23 pm

Hehe….I love your myth-bursting journey! You love your baby and see how life all goes from there on.

12. Sushmita July 24, 2020 at 5:28 am

Awww! Beautiful. Firstly, congratulations on celebrating 18 months of motherhood. I am so glad you shared your experiences and busted some myths around motherhood 🙂

13. Emily July 24, 2020 at 11:01 am

This is a really cool post!! And congratulations on celebrating your first 18 months of motherhood 🙂

14. Emman Damian July 24, 2020 at 5:18 pm

I think being a mom is a continuous learning experience. It needs to be learned through experience. Also, it needs a lot of patience.

1. admin - Site Author July 25, 2020 at 11:43 am

You are so right! I will still be learning about parenting when my son is an adult.